Thursday, April 8, 2010

Unemployment Perk #3 - Gettin' it done, son.

I'm a procrastinator. It's a well known fact about me. I once was given the Procrastination Award by my swim team. In my defense, I was 18, rarely showed up for practice, and they only needed me for my fabulous breaststroke. But enough about my glory days in the Strongsville Swim League...back to the point of this post.

I bought a house in November and when people ask me what have I done so far to it, I answer somewhat embarrassed, "Oh the house was move-in ready, but I'm planning to do some projects to make the place more of my own." Well now it's spring, I have plenty of time on my hands, and these projects need to get moving.

Today I made a trip to Home Depot, a store where I feel completely out of my element. Usually, I grab the first person I see wearing an orange apron and follow them around like a teenager with a crush. But this time, I wandered on my own. I priced out lighting fixtures, ceiling fans, grills and patio furniture. All by myself! I even purchased sample paint for my bedroom. Those bright periwinkle walls have got to go.

The immediate projects that I can handle on my own (or with a little help, hint, hint) are: paint my bedroom, clean the gutters, finish the bathroom project that's been in the works since before I moved in, and refinish my gigantic party deck. Projects a little down the line include painting the kitchen and living room, painting my office so it no longer looks like a little sailor's room, replacing the kitchen ceiling fan with pendant lights, and installing a new ceiling fan in the bedroom. Goodbye 70's fan.

I'm sure this post will have a part II, aka when I actually do these projects. Right now, they're all dreams and patches of paint samples.

Bedroom color palette: Spring bedding, courtesy of a Christmas present I no longer have to give; Accent pillow for the spring bedding; Ambient lighting; Winter bedding; Wall color options - darker shade for the accent wall, lighter for the rest of the room (See the periwinkle? Eww.);In the center, the wood color and wavy design of all the furniture.



Projects: My big huge deck; 70's ceiling fan; The bathroom project I've neglected to finish. One of these days...





1 comment:

  1. The ceiling fan will be easy and so will the painting. The Deck will he the hard part if you have to re sand it.

    ReplyDelete